Sunday, June 10, 2012

Martabating And Daryl's House

When I was in school in Atlanta (1992), I knew a DJ, Blake aka Bladerunner.  He was, and still is, a creative guy, and had this song, "Martabating."  And he made a video, which I was lucky enough to be involved in the making of, although due to me being camera shy, I'm not in the video.  If you watch the video (see list of links), forgive the nudity, I was NOT there for those parts, and was very surprised when I saw the final cut at the premiere.  No, I'm not a prude, but I don't think it was actually necessary. 

When the band is on what looks like a large rock, that's on top of Stone Mountain near Atlanta, and the band is Mess of Bones, which I find interesting since my old friend, SuSu, knew the band from when they were in Alabama, and well, small world.  The parts on the Marta trains was a blast, and I actually intended to be in the video, but when we got onto the train, they went to the right and I went to the left, so I'm right behind the cameraman.  The other friends on the train were all really nice, although I didn't know them well.  Hung out with Jaymz and Whoremoan a few times. 

Some bad things happened in Atlanta, mainly having to do with a couple of "friends" stabbing me in the back, but we did some crazy stuff and most of the time I had a blast.  Blake and his group were always fun, met several rock stars, and we were always doing something.

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

I have discovered a new show on TV, and it is also a web program, called "Live From Daryl's House."  It stars Daryl Hall, and he has a different musical guest each week.  I don't always watch, depends upon the guest, but if you like music, it's a find.

I guess I could say I owe much of my musical education to Mr. Hall, since I saw Hall & Oates hosting "The Midnight Special" back when I was twelve (1978).  They went inside a recording studio, and that was the coolest thing I'd ever seen.  I thought he was gorgeous, and I was hooked on him and the show.  I don't think I ever missed an episode from then on.  I even managed to get my mom to watch with me sometimes.  It was a great show, and I'm going to have to go watch some episodes on Hulu soon.  So many bands and comedians made appearances and I'm sure I saw acts that most other kids my age had never even heard of.  I still love so many of them today.  Ahh, back in the day when Rock 'n Roll was really Rock 'n Roll...

1 comment:

  1. Hey Cooky.. It's Capt Whoremoan... And we're BACK! Renegade Radio lives again om BladerunnerRadio.com Check out Renegade every Friday Night hosted by yours truly The Capt!! http://www.bladerunnerradio.com 24/7/365 We are rockin! Hit us up on Facebook too! Thanks for the write up & the memories.

    ReplyDelete